There are a lot of reasons why a business might like to take down a review on Tripadvisor.
Maybe the review is full of falsehoods and misrepresents the customer’s true experience, or perhaps it is full of vitriol and likely to scare off future customers.
Since many consumers base purchase decisions on reviews left by others, negative reviews can be detrimental to your company’s success.
Yet, herein lies the problem.
It isn’t possible to remove a Tripadivosr review as it is not something permitted by the service. There are still a few things you can do, though.
- You can try to work through the issue with the consumer who left the negative review and request that they update it.
- You can flag the review and call it out as fake.
Request an Updated Review
Let’s be honest: no consumer is going to want to update their review unless their original concern is dealt with.
By responding to customers who post reviews, you can build trust and encourage them to rethink their concerns if you address them directly.
It’s especially important that you try to single out the negative reviews to respond to since these are the ones that could deter future consumers from choosing your company. Just make sure that you thank the user for leaving the review first and foremost before getting to the crux of the issue.
Tripadvisor users cannot simply edit their reviews once published, which means that if you want an updated review from them, they will need to delete the current one and create a new one. They should be more than willing to do so if you have addressed their feedback well and remained polite and courteous throughout the interaction.
If you need to instruct a Tripadvisor user how to remove a review they’ve left, here are the steps to take:
- Once logged in to the website, advise them to access their user profile.
- They’ll then need to find their original review and click on the button with three dots in the top right corner.
- Finally, they simply have to click the ‘delete’ button and then confirm it with Tripadvisor once prompted.
How to Identify Fake Reviews
If you suspect that a review is fake or misrepresents the customer’s experience with your company, then you’ll first need to identify it according to Tripadvisor’s three fake review categories.
1. Review Boosting
Review boosting refers to a review that is overly positive due to association with the business. This type of fake review is usually left by an employee of the company or someone close to an employee. Review boosting can also refer to reviews that are the product of a business’s offering of illegal incentives in return for positive feedback.
2. Review Vandalism
Review vandalism refers to reviews that intend to harm a company’s reputation and interfere with its SEO ranking. As you might imagine, these reviews generally come from competitors or disgruntled customers looking to take out their frustration on the company.
3. Review Optimization
Review optimization is what happens when a business has an influx of positive reviews and can be either an intentional move to boost its standing or merely an accident.
You can report any of these types of fake Tripadvisor reviews via the ‘Management Center’ page on the website. To do so, follow these simple steps:
- In the ‘Reviews’ tab, select the ‘Report a Review’ option.
- Then click on ‘Report fraud’ button to flag the review in question.
- You’ll have to select the type of review out of those mentioned previously in the ‘What do you want to do?’ section.
- Next, answer a couple of questions from the website surrounding the timing of the review and if it was already posted.
- Add any extra information you have on the reviewer or reviewers in question.
- Finally, use the text box to write out exactly what you think is wrong with the review and why it should be looked into.
After all of this, you’ll have to wait a few days to hear back from Tripadvisor, and if they found the review to be fake, then they will take action and remove it from the site.
While you’re waiting, you can take the time to respond to the consumer who left the review to let your other consumers know you’re on top of the situation.
And with the help of Trustindex, you can really stay on top of your review management game all the time! Check out all the features we can offer you to help your business and boost your sales.>>