Full Disclosure - I am sure that the Doctor will say that I did not want to have the surgery or I was a very difficult patient. See the pic.
I initially contacted Dr. Alvorado for plastic surgery on 9 September to perform a breast lift. The Doctor told me he could do the surgery on 16 September 2023.
In the following days, I attended all my pre-op appointments, expecting to receive surgery on 16 September 2023. On 13 September, at 1:05 pm, I was told that the surgery would be on 16 September at 7:00 at the Otorrinolaringologia and Cirugia Plastica on 4 NTE in Granda Calo, Colombia. At 9:13 on 15 September, I was sent a text message stating the surgery was moved to 8:00 on 16 September at the Hospital Fiore, and I received two missed phone calls at (9:19 and 9:37 am at another hospital on the other side of town. At 10:51 a.m. the same day, I received a text message stating I needed an HIV test. At 10:54, a few minutes later, I received another text message stating that my previous blood work included the HIV test. At 1:36 the same day, I received another text message saying that the surgery was moved back to the original location at 1:30 p.m.
After the third change and numerous phone calls, I requested to speak to the Doctor after going back and forth with the office attendant. I received a text message from the Doctor that I would receive a refund, and he stated that the clinic where he operates "was entering the maintenance process because the health authorities are reviewing the clinic". The Doctor also stated that the clinic where they usually operate is undergoing maintenance and will possibly restart activities at the end of the following week. After much back and forth, the Doctor stated that "previous surgeries had been canceled the previous week because of maintenance issues. The Doctor went on to say that "while this solution is being resolved, they are obligated to return the funds. He stated that he could return the funds in cash. At 4:47 the same day, The Doctor said he could deposit the funds to any account I wished. Again, I informed the Doctor's office that I did not want to have any other forms of return outside of my credit cards.
I received a text message at 4:48 p.m. on 15 September 2023 stating that the Doctor would refund the surgery and associated medical pre-op costs. I received another follow-up that that the office would return the funds in cash on Saturday, 16, 2023, after 11:00 a.m. Although I did not wish to have the cash but rather a return of funds to my credit card, I was told that the Doctor would give me a check. I informed the office that I would not accept a check for a refund of services since I used my credit cards. On 18 September at 10:34, I received another text message that the Doctor's office would return my total costs of ~18M COPs, which would take five days for the transaction.
I received the COP 500,000 on 21 September 2023 for the pre-op costs in cash. That same day, I received a text from the office stating that they had proceeded with the return and would call the service that handles credit card charges.
To this date, I have not received a refund of my surgery costs. The Doctor's office willfully took my money, and there is no real expectation that the surgery would happen on 16 September 2023 as requested. Based on the communication, the Doctor knew that his operating hospitals were closed for maintenance. In fact, after further questioning, the Doctor admitted that the surgery would not be at any time on 16 September since the hospitals were closed and may reopen the following week.
At the end, the changing of times, locations, and dates along with the note that the hospitals were closed due to maintenance is of a major concern. 24 Hours before a major surgery, I had no idea what would happen the next day....if I should fast...where I should be....nada.....The Doctor stated it was not his fault since he operates out of 3 different hospitals BUT he knew at the time that he scheduled my surgery, all three hospitals were having maintenance issues.
Estimada Sharon. Nos disculpamos con usted por los cambios de programación de la cirugia debido a que la Clinica donde operamos nos informo el dia anterior a su cirugia que debía hacer algunos mantenimientos. Conseguimos un cupo para su cirugia el mismo dia pero en horas de la tarde y usted decidió no operarse, exigiéndonos que tenía que ser obligatoriamente en horas de la mañana. Por la imposibilidad de cumplir esta exigencia suya, decidimos devolver el dinero pagado por usted inmediatamente con un cheque certificado, transferencia, deposito en su cuenta de banco, pero usted rechazó estas posibilidades y decidió que se hiciera un reembolso a sus tarjetas de crédito. Debido a que usted hizo el pago con varias tarjetas, este proceso se ha demorado mas de lo esperado. Ante esta situación volvimos a ofrecerle la posibilidad de reembolso con cheque, transferencia o depósito que usted volvió a rechazar. Lastimosamente las decisiones de las Clínicas donde operamos así como los procesos de devolución de los Bancos no dependen de nosotros y se salen de nuestras manos a pesar de que he ido personalmente al Banco a tramitar el reembolso a sus tarjetas. Si usted hubiera aceptado operarse en horas de la tarde o recibir su dinero en cheque certificado, deposito o transferencia, no habría tenido que dejar opiniones negativas sin fundamento.